Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Vice Squad


Why exactly is it that other people's vices bother us so much? And I'm lecturing myself as well as all you poor souls reading this because I'm not immune. Is it because we think we're better than they are? Do we think we could never sink to that level? Have we perhaps seen ourselves doing some of these things and we don't want to slip back into that particular bad behavior, i.e., the ex-smokers who are such assholes about others' smoking, or ex-fatties who can't stand fat people?


Many years ago, I was regular weight but smoked. A co-worker AND a good friend of mine teased me about my cigarette break, "Oh! Going out for another coffin nail, are ya?" Okay, she weighed in at about an easy 300. But if on the way to the daily donut box I had said to her, "Oh! going for another fried piece of cellulite, are ya?" I would have been the pariah of the office. I would have hurt her feelings and ruined our otherwise good relationship. Postscript: I ended up quitting smoking; she's probably tipping the scales at closer to 400 these days - seriously.


Then there was my father (God rest his soul; now deceased) who also couldn't stand fat people, but smoked, did drugs, did prison time, cussed, was snide & cynical, etc., but made wisecracks about the overweight. My own mother has struggled with her weight all her life, but makes comments about the seriously obese.


Where the HELL is everyone's compassion and understanding about personal issues others face? I mean I have NO compassion for a child rapist, but for God's sake that little "habit" is on a totally different level than someone who turns to a cigarette, pipe, bottle, or a donut to relieve stress - don't you think?


I don't want to get up on my soapbox, but I will for a moment. Perhaps we all need to revisit the logs in our own eyes before pointing out the splinters in others. If we spent more time on self-improvement and love for our fellow mankind, maybe someone's smoking, drinking or eating could actually be understood or we could have concern for them instead of disdain.


Fatima on her Soapbox

No comments: