Monday, May 21, 2007

The Last Week of My So-Called Normal Life

Yep, this is it. I should be one of those guys walking around with billboards in front and back of me proclaiming, "The End is Near." This is the last week of my normal, sorta quiet life at home with hubby and toddler.

A week from tomorrow, I have to fly to Southern California; pick up my mother; and then drive across the country back home. God only knows how this is going to seriously pan out. We'll be alone on the road. Alone. Together. For about 4 days. Hopefully, it will be over in 4 days. It has to be. I have to get back to work; back to school; back to my husband and my kids; back to my normal life.

But, is it going to be normal any more? No. She's moving in with us until she finds suitable housing. We already have kid #2 home now because we all agreed it was too expensive for room & board when she can just commute to school. Then, kid #1 is coming home too sometime later this summer. Oy. My husband literally said these words to me last night, "Where are all these people sleeping? And, I hope you know that NONE of them are sleeping with us!" I can't imagine why he wouldn't want my 68 year old mother in bed with us. Maybe he'll make an exception if we just make a pallet for her on the floor with a little sleeping bag; we'll pretend we have another new-born.....

I love them all, but I'm already looking forward to naps I won't get. I don't want to have to cook and/or clean for all these people. Is it too unrealistic to expect that they'll all wait on me?!!! Perhaps, they'll all just step up to the plate and things will be wildly fun, silly, full of laughter and memories. But just in case they're not, I'm getting my meds re-filled this Wednesday.


Fatima-the-Optimistic

No comments: