Friday, January 19, 2007

Motown Rocks

I think one of the many reasons I loved the show, "Murphy Brown," so much was because it always started and ended with Motown music. That music reminds me of when I was a very little girl (born in '63), so I grew up hearing a lot of it. We'll get back to Motown in a moment after a brief diversion.


So, today I'm in exercise class. Our instructor has cute little names for her classes, and today's class is called "WWW" - which stands for Weekend Weight Workout. I guess she named it that because it's held on Friday, you know, before the weekend? Okay, we're all on the same page here.


Anyway, another brief diversion. Have you ever looked in a mirror where two pieces of the mirrors meet and you can either look gargantuan or much slimmer than you actually are? Okay, so I'm working out and everyone in the class is facing the mirrors at the front of the room. And of course my reflection is split between two pieces of mirror. I can't even get my own freaking piece of mirror! But anyway, I look up and I look like I'm 50 pounds lighter. And here's where my diversions all tie together. What exercise remix song was playing during this odd occurrence of me looking wonderfully thinner and fit? "Reflections" by Diana Ross and the Supremes.


I'm hearing "Through the mirror of my mind, time after time, I see reflections of you and me, reflections of the way life used to be......." and while I'm listening to this, I look great! I literally saw a reflection of the way life used to be; the way I used to look.


I'm not entirely sure why I chose to write about this today. But honestly, I think because at the time when the endorphins were running high, I actually thought it was a sign. Like, as in, I can do this. I can get back to where I used to be. It's not impossible, and it's not too late. I can look in a mirror one day and look like that again, "the way life used to be."

Sweaty-But-Optimistic-Fatima


No comments: