Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Virgin Blog (Dec 16, 2006)

Welcome! It's that time of year again when folks begin talk of upcoming New Year's Resolutions - a gruesome failure-ridden tradition I gave up many years ago. Why? Because they never work. Not only for me, but they don't work for you either (admit it), or for your partner, your mother, or your co-worker. And, if they ever say they made one up and it stuck, they're lying to you. Leave them immediately, if not sooner, and do not associate with them ever again. However, in the back of my mind, this thought always lingers: "Fatima, if you were to have a resolution, not that you would, but if you were going to, what would it be this year?" And year, after year, after year (you get it...) it's always the same thing: Lose weight, get in shape. Always in that order. Never varies. Never works either.

So that's why I'm here now, and that's why you're reading this. First, let me just say this to our Middle Eastern sisters, that I apologize for the use of "Fatima." While a very nice name in other cultures - here in America it implies, well, that I'm fat. I could have gone by Chunky or Miss Piggy, but Fatima says the same thing with a little more dignity. I feel better now that I've covered my PC bases.

I decided that instead of making some half-assed attempt at yet another resolution, I'd write instead. I'd write about me, my bad habits, etc., and try to glean some insight as to how and why I got to where I am today, and then find my way (with your help of course) out of this Dunkin Donuts dark tunnel and into a healthy lifestyle. You know the type I want to be. They disgust and intrigue us at the same time. We find them fascinating even though we loathe them. The soccer moms who look similar to the now older Cindy Crawford. Healthy hair & skin, fit, in shape; they always choose carrot sticks over potato chips; and they always, ALWAYS, exercise. And by 'always,' that would imply to someone like me at least 3 times a week, but it's probably every day of the week to those women. Bitches. Be that as it may, then a "bitch" is what I aspire to be. I do this not to seek out a man (I'm happily married for 20 years); I do this for myself. But I also do this for my 3 year old - my baby who I had at midlife (40) and who I'd like to see grow up.

So tonight was my shitty first draft attempt at a blog, designing it, telling myself I'll keep up with it. I will eventually make it look pretty, and hopefully you and I both will want to come back to it. I must learn a little more about adding images, music, links, etc. All that will come in due time.

Peace! Fatima

No comments: